Seems like I will be doing some serious bug hunting today. No complaints. It’s all fun.
So, while updating world, gettext started failing on me. So, I went back to bugs.gentoo.org to look out for any useful bug reports.
Sure there was one with the same problems.
As per Bug 206495, there’s a problem with the ebuild
gettext-0.17 ebuild uses ’emake install’ where it should use ’emake -j1
So, once again I got on with the process
1) Copy /usr/portage/sys-devel/gettext to /usr/local/portage/sys-devel/gettext
2) Open the ebuild in you favourite editor and edit the emake line to add -ji and save it
3) Run the following command
ebuild gettext-0.17.ebuild digest
4) Now emerge gettext again and you should be ready to go 🙂