While compiling xorg-server on gentoo/freebsd, I was getting an error. So, I paid a visit to #gentoo-bsd on irc.freenode.net. WIth the help of friendly people out there I found that it’s missing something but seemed to be out of luck as we couldn’t find out what was missing.
A quickfire query at bugs.gentoo.org revealed that there was indeed a bug filed with xorg-server-1.4.0. You can find the bug at http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205149
So, basically I needed to patch up my xorg-server files with the 2 patches given out there.
I used this post to find how to apply patches to ebuilds. So, this is how I went by
1) I created a overlay at /usr/local/portage.
2) Copied files from /usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-server to /usr/local/portage/x11-base/xorg-server
3) Added PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
4) Copied the 2 patches to files named os-utils.patch and os-utils1.patch. Moved the files to /usr/local/portage/x11-base/xorg-server/files
5) Edited the ebuild to add the following
6) Now to rebuild the digest for it Code:
ebuild xorg-server-18.104.22.168-r3.ebuild digest
This creates a new digest
7) You’re ready to emerge with your patches ready to apply. Now run emerge pretend to check if portage is using xorg-server from your overlay.
emerge -pv xorg-server
If it is then you can emerge it now. Else check back the steps to see if anything went wrong.